Home Conference Info Submission & Registration Other Info Links Contact Us
About Hong Kong Information on Arrival CUHK Campus FAQ

About Hong Kong


(1) General information

There are four major areas in Hong Kong: Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, the New Territories, and the Outlying Islands. Hong Kong Island and Kowloon are the most densely populated areas and where many of the major tourist attractions are concentrated. CUHK is located in the New Territories, where you could find an array of traditional villages and country parks. The city is safe, with efficient public transportation, you would find it really easy to get around and explore!


(2) Visa

In general, all visitors to Hong Kong must have a passport that is valid for at least one month after the period of their intended stay in Hong Kong. Nationals of most countries do not require a visa to enter Hong Kong for tourism and can stay for periods varying from seven to 180 days, depending on nationality. Please apply in advance, as the process usually needs time. For further details, please check out the Immigration Department website.
* 來自大陸地區的參會者需要持有港澳通行證(EEP)及相應簽注才可前往香港。建議您申請個人旅遊簽注赴港參加本次會議。


(3) Currency

Most shops in Hong Kong accept major credit cards; however, at open-air markets, local restaurants, smaller shops and taxis, people will only take cash. You may exchange Hong Kong dollars (HKD) at the Hong Kong International Airport near Baggage Reclaim Belt, after Custom or at Arrivals Hall. There are also several JETCO, UnionPay and ETC ATMs in campus where you could withdraw HKD with your bank card (with surcharges, amount depending on your bank, the local bank and the network used). Please inquire at your bank for more information.


(4) Weather

January and February are the coldest months in Hong Kong; days are usually dry. The low temperatures will average around 13° C and during the day climb in the 20°-22° C. You will certainly need a sweater or jacket!


(5) Electricity

Electricity in Hong Kong is supplied at between 220 and 240 volts. If you are coming from Taiwan, Japan, the North America, you might need an electrical converter to use your devices. Further, unless you are travelling from the U.K. where sockets are compatible with the Hong Kong socket, you would also need an electric adapter to match the shape of your plug with the local three-hole socket.


(6) Internet Access and SIM Cards

The CUHK campus is covered with WiFi. You may also find free WiFi hotspots at major tourist spots, at the airport, all MTR stations and pier terminals, as well as shopping malls, libraries and museums. You may buy a prepaid SIM card at the airport, convenience stores (7-11, Circle K, V>nGO) or any of the local telecom outlets throughout the city.