HO Siu Kee
Director of M.A. Programme; Associate Professor
B.A. (CUHK), M.F.A. (Cranbrook), D.F.A. (RMIT), MRBS (Royal British Society of Sculptors)
Prof. HO graduated from The Chinese University of Hong Kong with a B.A. degree in Fine Arts in 1989. He then received his Master of Fine Art degree majoring in Sculpture from Cranbrook Academy of Art (U.S.A.) and his Doctor of Fine Art degree from RMIT University (Aus.) in 1995 and 2003 respectively. He participated in various prestigious exhibitions worldwide including the 23rd International Biennial of Sao Paulo in 1996 and the 49th Venice Biennial in 2001 as official Hong Kong representative.
Ho’s artistic and academic research focuses on exploring bodily perception as a means and process of aesthetic expression both in contemporary sculptural practice and in traditional handicraft. His research interests also cover Maurice Merleau-Ponty and other phenomenological traditions of the philosophy of art.
Before joining the Department of Fine Arts, Prof. HO was Associate Professor and Master of Visual Arts Programme Director of the Academy of Visual Arts, Hong Kong Baptist University (2009-2016) and Academic Head of Hong Kong Art School (2000-2009).
- The Constrained Body. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Arts Centre, Jul 2010.
- Body Schema – Works by HO, Siu-kee. Macau: Fundacao Oriente, Sep 2000.
- HO Siu-kee: Official Hong Kong Exhibition, 23rd International Biennial of Sao Paulo. Hong Kong: Hanart TZ Gallery, Sep 1996.
- “Hong Kong Public Sculpture and the Cityscape.” Translated by Hui King-sze, Kasey. In Tong, K.T. (ed.) Hong Kong Visual Arts Yearbook 2013, Department of Fine Arts, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Jun 2014, pp. 154-177.
- “Red Lipstick, Bunny the Rabbit, Pinocchio and Flying Temple: Inflatable Sculptures and Cultural Imaginings.” (translated text) Invited article in exhibition catalogue, Mobile M+ Inflation!, M+ (Museum Plus), West Kowloon Cultural District Authority, Apr 2013, book C, pp. 52-55, pp. 74-79.
- “Art is Everything – An Interview with Antony Gormley.” (translated text) In am post, # 82, Hong Kong: Art Map Limited, Oct 2010, pp. 6-9.
- “知覺的身體與被知覺的世界 – 當代藝術的身體話語 The Perceiving Body and the Perceived World – a Discourse on Bodyness in Contemporary Art (in Chinese).” In Twenty-First Century, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, #124, Apr 2010, pp.92-96, 100.
- “別人的想像，自己的觀照: 香港藝術在威尼斯” 載於《今藝術》，台北：今藝術，第210期，2010年3月，頁130-133。
- “「此時」‧「此地」‧「我們的」‧「公共」‧「藝術」” 載於 靳埭强 (編)《公共藝術國際論壇暨教育研討會文集》，桂林：廣西師範大學出版社， 2009年10月，頁199-203。
- “傳統工藝的承傳與發展 – 杭間與何兆基對談” 載於 杭間 編著《原鄉 ‧ 設計》，重慶：重慶大學出版社，2009年1月， 頁117-120。
- “造磚記 – 兼談「開物」、「成器」與「致用」On Making Bricks – and Some Thoughts on ‘Exploring Materials’, ‘Making Utensils’ and ‘Applications’.” Translated by Amy Chin. In Tang, Y.C. (ed.) White Text #3, Hong Kong: The Art School, Hong Kong Arts Centre, Sep 2006, pp51-60.
- “由宋應星到梅洛‧龐蒂 – 「手藝」、「身體綜合」與「藝術實踐」From Sung, Ying-sing to Maurice Merleau-Ponty: ‘Craftmanships’, ‘Bodily Synthesis’ and ‘Art Practice” Translated by Stephane Cheung. In Tang, Y.C. (ed.) White Text #1, Hong Kong: The Art School, Hong Kong Arts Centre, Sep 2005, pp35-50.
- “Aureola: A Wearable Sculpture Project to Explore the Mortality and Divinity of the Body.” Paper presented at “Bellagio Center Resident Seminar Programme” organized by Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center, Aug 2015.
- “Identities, Cultures and Experiences: Artists and Audiences in the Globalize Art Scene.” Artists in Dialogue at “Global Goes Local: Visualizing Regional Cultures in the Arts of Greater China”, international conference organized by Academy of Visual Arts, Hong Kong Baptist University, Jun 2013.
- “Research about Creativity/ Creativity as Research.” Panel Discussion at “International Conference on Research Creativity: Praxis 2012” organized by Academy of Visual Arts, Hong Kong Baptist University, Nov 2012.
TALKS / LECTURES
- “About Teachers and Healers.” Artist talk organized by Lucie Chang Fine Arts, May 2016.
- “Live Art Daily.” Artist sharing organized by Hong Kong Museum of Art, Mar 2016.
- “From Apprenticeship to Curriculum – Chattering among Master Sculptor and Pupils.” Artist talk organized by Hong Kong Museum of Art, Feb 2015.
- “Looking Back: Hong Kong in Venice.” Artist sharing organized by M+, West Kowloon Cultural District, Jun 2013.
- “The Constrained Body: from Creation to Publication.” Artist sharing organized by Hong Kong Arts Centre, Nov 2010.
- Body Geometry: Works by Ho, Siu-kee, Cattle Depot Artist Village, Hong Kong, 2015.
- The Things: 100 Objects that Relate to the Art of Ho Siu-kee, a.m. space, Hong Kong, 2015.
- Aureola: Works by Ho, Siu-kee, Grotto Fine Art, Hong Kong, 2012.
- Heavenly Mundanity: Ho, Siu-kee Sculpture x Photography, Lumenvisum, Hong Kong, 2012.
- The Constrained Body: Works by Ho, Siu-kee, Grotto Fine Art, Hong Kong. 2009.
- HO, Siu-kee: Body Gesture, Hong Kong Arts Centre & Grotto Fine Art, Hong Kong, 2006.
- The Perceptual Body – Works by HO, Siu-kee, Graduate House, the University of Hong Kong, 2003.
- The Visible Form of Intention – Works by HO, Siu-kee, Grotto Fine Art, Hong Kong, 2003.
- Body Schema – Works by HO, Siu-kee, Fundacao Oriente Gallery, Casa Garden, Macau, 2000.
- Terraces Topography: Vanishing Time, Drifting Space – Works by HO, Siu-kee, OP Fotogallery, Hong Kong, 2000.
- Connotative Body – Works by HO, Siu-kee, IT Park, Taipei, 2000.
- Features-Works by HO, Siu-kee, Museum of Site, Hong Kong, 1999.
- Per/Con-ceptual Body: Works by HO, Siu-kee, Hong Kong Arts Centre, 1999.
- Body / Space – Works by Ho, Siu-kee, Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre, 1996.
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- Teaching and Healing, Lucie Chang Fine Arts, 2016.
- The Human Body: Measure and Norms, Blindspot Gallery, Hong Kong, 2015.
- Hanart 100: Idiosyncrasies, Hong Kong Arts Centre, 2014.
- Substitution: In & Out Contemporary Art Exhibition, Manjinghua Art Gallery, Shenzhen, China, 2014.
- Déjà Disparu, Pearl Lam Galleries, Hong Kong, 2013.
- Cityzening, Jorge Vargas Museum, University of the Philippines Diliman, 2012.
- Hong Kong and a World, Liu Hai Su Museum, Shanghai, 2012.
- Strolling on the Water, MOCA West Lake, HangZhou, China, 2011.
- Hong Kong Sculpture Biennale, Department of Fine Arts, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2010.
- Art in Use: Sculptural Objects, Hong Kong Arts Centre, 2009.
- Gongju International Art Festival, Limlip Art Museum, Korea, 2009.
- Charming Experience, Hong Kong Museum of Art, 2009.
- Digitalogue, Hong Kong Museum of Art, 2008.
- Reversing Horizon, MOCA, Shanghai, 2007.
- Pivotal Decade – Hong Kong Art 1997-2007, Chinese Arts Centre, Manchester, UK, 2007.
- New Reading Space Public Art Project, Hong Kong Arts Centre, 2005.
- Gods Becoming Men, Frissiras Museum, Athens, 2004.
- Speed Up, Swiss Sports Museum, Basel, 2004.
- Mapping Asia, Hong Kong Heritage Museum, 2003.
- The 8th International Shoebox Sculpture Exhibition, University of Hawaii Art Gallery, 2003.
- Final Frontier, Spencer Brownstone Gallery, New York, 2002.
- Art Mosco International Art Fair, Central House of Artist, Mosco, Russia, 2002.
- 49th Venice Biennial – Hong Kong, China Official Exhibition, La Biennale di Venezia, Italy, 2001.
- Translated Acts – Performance and Body Art from East Asia, Haus Der Kulturen Der Welt ( House of World Cultures ), Berlin & Queens Museum of Art, New York, 2001.
- Und ab die Post – 4th Festival of Young Experimental Art, Aktions Galerie, Berlin, 2000.
- Artscope Hong Kong 2000, Morphe 2000-Asian meme, Tokyo, Japan; City University Gallery, Hong Kong, 2000.
- Chinese Figure, Hanart Gallery, London, 2000.
- Volume & Form – Singapore 1999, Singapore Art Museum, 1999.
- Art of the New Medium: Fifteen Electronic Proposals, El Museo de Arte Contemporaneo de Puerto Rico, 1999.
- Fast>>Forward: New Chinese Video Art, Fundacao Oriente Contemporary Art Museum, Macao; Galerie Rudolfinum, Czech Republic, 1999.
- Inside Out: New Chinese Art, Asia Society, New York & San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 1998.
- Contemporary Art from Hong Kong, Taipei and Shanghai, Hong Kong Arts Centre & National Taiwan Arts Education Institute, 1998.
- Cities on the Move, Vienna Secession, Austria & capc Musee d’art Contemporain de Bordeaux, France & P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center, New York, 1997.
- Hong Kong Art 1997 – Collection of the Hong Kong Museum of Art Beijing and Guangzhou Exhibition, National Museum of Fine Arts, Beijing and Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou, 1997.
- Hong Kong Now, Virginia Commonwealth University, U.S.A., 1997.
- 23rd International Biennial of Sao Paulo (Hong Kong Official Representative), Fundacao Bienal de Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1996.
- Mind / Body / Things – Works by HO, Siu-kee, publication project funded by Burger Collection, 2016 on going.
- Body Geometry – Works by HO, Siu-kee, solo exhibition funded by Hong Kong Arts Development Council and Burger Collection, 2015.
- Materiality, Craftsmanship & Culture: A Case Study on the Tradition of Bamboo Craft in Japan, Hong Kong Baptist University Faculty Research Grant funded project, 2012-2015.
- Public Sculpture and the Cityscape – a Survey on Existing Public Sculptures in Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University Faculty Research Grant funded project, 2011-2014.
- The Constrained Body – Works by HO, Siu-kee, publication project funded by Hong Kong Arts Development Council, 2010.
- Artist of the Year Award – Visual Arts, Hong Kong Arts Development Council, 2016.
- The Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center Residency Fellowship, Bellagio Center, Italy, 2015.
- Listed in the Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon (a German published World Biographical Dictionary of Artists), Die bildenden Künstler aller Zeiten und Völker, Bd 73 (vol.73), Heunert-Hoellwarth, De Gruyter, Munich/Berlin, 2012.
- International Artist Residency, Taipei International Artist Village, Taiwan, 2005.
- Civitella Ranieri Fellowship, Civitella Ranieri Center, Italy, 2001.
- Starr Foundation Fellowship, Asian Cultural Council, New York, 2000.
- Fellowship for Artistic Development, Hong Kong Arts Development Council, 1997.
- Urban Council Fine Arts Awards, Hong Kong Museum of Art, 1996.