AU Hoi Lam
B.A., M.F.A. & M. Phil. (CUHK)
Au Hoi Lam graduated from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (MFA 2004 & MPhil in Philosophy 2009). She works and lives in Hong Kong. Through artistic creations, Au ruminates over her life experiences, but not to express herself eloquently. The subjects of her metaphorical and autobiographical work come from trivial but profound minute details of everyday life. AU regards her art objects as ways of ‘the Care of the Self’: memorandum, keepsake, symbol, prayer and contemplative medium, etc. Her works are labour of love and craftsmanship, infused with her unique sensibilities and passions, and integrating minute details into a unified whole. Perhaps, like life itself, her paintings are best to be savoured and pondered over, instead of being analyzed in a rational manner. She has been awarded with Hong Kong Arts Development Awards 2013 – Award for Young Artist (Visual Arts). Her works are collected by Hong Kong Museum of Art, M+ and private collectors.
1. “Dengdai De Fangshi (Way of Waiting)”, Modern Weekly, Issue 793, 1st March 2014, pp.C77.
2. “Lixiang Guodu Zhi Yi (One of the Utopia)”, Fleurs Des Lettres, Vol. 44, 2013 July – Aug, pp. 75-76.
3. Memorandum (Father). Hong Kong: Osage Gallery, 2013.
4. “You, Always”, In Lui Chun Kwong ed. You are Here, I am Not (Hong Kong: Osage Gallery, 2012), pp. 153‐166.
5. “Kuaile De Jieshu (Happy Ending)”, Fleurs Des Lettres, Vol. 17, 2008 Dec – 2009 Jan, pp. 80.
6. “Gei Wo Yi Ben Chenmo De Shu (Give Me A Silent Book)”, Fleurs Des Lettres, Vol. 15, 2008 Aug-Sep, pp. 80.
7. “Weiceng Jianguo De Lianpang (A Face I Have Never Seen)”, Fleurs Des Lettres, Vol. 13, 2008 Apr-May, pp. 82.
8. When Words are Sweet… Paintings by Au Hoi-lam. Hong Kong: Art Promotion Office, 2006.
9. Au Hoi Lam Painting Journal. Hong Kong, 2004.
1. Au Hoi Lam: My Father is Over the Ocean. Shanghai Postscript, Osage Shanghai, Shanghai, 2014.
2. Au Hoi Lam: My Father is Over the Ocean, Osage Open, Hong Kong, 2013.
3. Definitions of Time: Paintings by Au Hoi Lam, Edge Gallery, Hong Kong, 2010.
4. Au Hoi Lam Reading Room, Muji Atelier, Hong Kong, 2010.
5. Artists in the Neighbourhood Scheme III: When Words are Sweet…Paintings by Au Hoi-lam, Hong Kong Central Library and Experimental Gallery & Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong, 2006.
1. The Quest for Art – The 25th Anniversary Alumni and Graduation Class Visual Arts Exhibition, JCCAC, Hong Kong, 2015.
2. Fotanian Open Studios 2015, Tone Quarters – Atelier Au Hoi Lam, Hong Kong, 2015.
3. Art Basel Hong Kong, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, 2015.
4. After/Image, Studio 52, Hong Kong, 2015.
5. Time Traveler – Au Hoi Lam & Sara Tse, Espace Louis Vuitton, Hong Kong, 2014.
6. Art Basel Hong Kong, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, 2014.
7. Market Forces – Erasure: From Conceptualism To Abstraction, Osage Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2014.
8. Woman-Home: In the Name of Asian Female Artists, Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts, Kaohsiung, 2014.
9. IV Moscow International Biennale for Young Art: A Time for Dream, Museum of Moscow, Moscow, 2014.
10. Fine Art Asia 2014, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, 2014.
11. Art Taipei, Taipei World Trade Center, Taipei, 2014.
12. The Perfect Circle (Fotanian Open Studios 2013), Qiáng, Hong Kong, 2013.
13. Market Forces: The Friction of Opposites, Osage Kwun Tong, Hong Kong, 2013.
14. Art Basel Hong Kong, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, 2013.
15. The Imperfect Circle, Osage Kwun Tong, Hong Kong, 2013.
16. Painting On and On 5. Taciturn, HKICC Lee Shau Kee School of Creativity Gallery, Hong Kong, 2013.