Application Deadline: 29 January 2021
Application: Graduate School Online Application
Tuition Fee: HK$42,100 per annum (full-time)
Students are eligible for admission into the M.Phil. programme if they have (1) a B.A. in anthropology and a solid academic record, or (2) a B.A. or M.A. in other subjects with a solid academic record, and practical background in anthropology, such as extensive work experience in other cultures.
Applicants can apply via Graduate School Online application, should quote the “Application No.” generated for their applications when they send the hardcopies of their supporting documents to the Graduate Divisions.
The required documents include:
- A completed application form under web of Graduate School
- Complete undergraduate or postgraduate transcripts with official signature/stamp chop and sealed with official envelope (Please specify ‘Application for MPhil Programme’ on envelope and send to division by deadline) (note: non-CUHK applicants, photocopies will not be accepted, CUHK applicants, photocopies issued by CUHK will be accepted)
- Two letters of recommendation (via Online or Hardcopy. If Hardcopy, send to division by deadline). Please see Graduate School Application Procedure for details,
- Proof of proficiency in English (for students who have graduated from a university that does not use English as a medium of instruction). Please see http://www.gs.cuhk.edu.hk/page/EntryRequirements for details. The department prefers the TOEFL exam (550 or above, or 213 or above for the computer-based test; 79 or above for the Internet-based test), or IELTS (band 6.5 or above). If relevant for research, some evidence of Chinese proficiency is also required for non-native speakers
(*TOEFL and IELTS are considered valid for two years from the test date.)
- Receipt of application fee (Applicable if paid by Bank draft/ Cheque, no need if paid by Credit Card)
- Copies of certificates and a copy of applicant’s HKID card or other identity document
- Applicants who obtained degrees from universities in Mainland China are required to provide an Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate (教育部學歷證書電子註冊備案表) issued by the CHESICC (學信網).
- A two-to-three page statement of purpose, describing why the applicant wants to study anthropology at CUHK and what research project the applicant proposes to carry out (FAQ)
- A copy of sample of the applicant’s writing, preferably a research paper (FAQ)
All the above documents should send to Division BY DEADLINE:
Division of Anthropology
RM 407 Humanities Bldg., New Asia College
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T.
(please quote your application number and specify ‘Application for MPhil Programme’ on envelope)
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person (local applicants) or by Skype (non-local applicants).
The admission exercise is in January-February for September admission. The programme welcomes applicants not only with an anthropological background, but from other related disciplines as well.
Application results will be posted on the homepage of the Graduate School from mid-February to August. Successful applications will receive the offer letter by August. Applicants will not be informed separately if their applications are not successful.
For further information concerning the Anthropology Programme at CUHK, please write the department at email@example.com.